Re: Oersted to Gauss; Conversion Factors

At 03:33 PM 05/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I have a dilemma with the documentation for a tape
>demagnitizer.
>
>The unit's magnetic output is rated in "oersteds."  I
>thought these would be easily converted to "gauss," but
>it seems that the units do not measure the same
>quantities, and they do not appear to be easily converted
>one to the other.
>
>Is there a conversion formula for the two units?  Barring
>that, is there a thumb rule that relates the two
>quantities?

Gauss is a unit of magnetic flux density
Oersted is a unit of magnetic field strength

For most purposes, gauss and oersted are essentially equivalent.

For example, a 1 oersted magnetic field strength in air is about equal to a
1 gauss magnetic flux density in air.

Rick Mannix
Health Physicist
Laser Safety Officer