Oersted to Gauss; Conversion Factors

Folks,

I have a dilemma with the documentation for a tape
demagnitizer.

The unit's magnetic output is rated in "oersteds."  I
thought these would be easily converted to "gauss," but
it seems that the units do not measure the same
quantities, and they do not appear to be easily converted
one to the other.

Is there a conversion formula for the two units?  Barring
that, is there a thumb rule that relates the two
quantities?

Thanks,

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer