Re: wrong DOT label

The data is interesting, although I'm not sure of the practical implications.  A
look at a table of attenuation coefficients explains the loss of response below
approximately 30 kev.  For example, for water, the mass energy absorption
coefficient is 0.0669 cm2/g for 40 kev, 0.150 cm2/g for 30 kev, and 0.526 cm2/g
for 20 kev.  Thus, low energy photons tend to be attenuated by the instrument.
They would also be attenuated by shielding and packaging material.  I thus doubt
that low energy photons would be a problem for shipments (Although I'd be
interested if anyone knows of cases where they have been a problem.)

You quoted an error of 105% for N-16, but since the half life is 7.13 seconds, I
don't worry too much about shipping it.

Some other practical rules:

1.  Try to avoid shipping near a limit.

2.  If you must ship near a limit, use special care, such as multiple surveys with
different instruments.

3.  Try to use the  type of instrument used by the receiver.

4.  If you're right at the break point for a label category, eg. white-1 to
yellow-2, go with the higher category; I'll take my chances with a hit for
overlabeling, rather than risk a more serious hit for underlabeling.  I'd use
instrument tolerances as the justification, if called on this.

5.  Avoid "scab shielding," i.e. shielding which is not part of the package
design.  It is likely to shift during transport, changing the dose rate.  It may
also invalidate a package certification.

The  opinions expressed are strictly mine.
It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com