Re: Sterilization

We have a local company that uses electron beams to sterilize medical
red-bag (potentially infectious) waste, which can then be disposed in
the local landfill, instead of being sent to an incinerator.  This is a
big savings for the medical community as well as reducing waste to be
burned.  Medical incinerators are a major source of airborne
contaminants such as mercury and are not regulated to the same degree as
hazardous waste incinerators.  I view the electron-beam technology (no
matter how the radiation is generated) as a major benefit for
environmental and public-health interests.

Any opinions expressed are my own.

Regards,
Susan Gawarecki