Re: Sterilization

Franz -

You're absolutely correct ... it is electron beam sterilization ... follow the sterilization link at www.titan.com if you're interested. It's a shame that companies feel that they have to shy away from the use of the word "radiation", even in an application such as this one, where the benefit is SO obvious.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

At 10:33 16.05.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Colleagues -
>
>The following article appeared on the PRNewswire on 5/12.
>
>Jim Hardeman
>Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us
>
>=================
>
>First Hamburger Patties to Use Titan's Revolutionary Electronic
Pasteurization Technology Make U.S. Debut In Minneapolis

>MINNEAPOLIS, May 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The Titan Corporation's (NYSE:TTN)
wholly owned subsidiary, the SureBeam Corporation, and Minnesota-based
Huisken Meats today announced the introduction of Huisken Beef Patties, the
first food product in the U.S. to be electronically pasteurized with
Titan's patented SureBeam(R) technology. The hamburger patties will be
available at leading supermarkets in the Minneapolis area on May 16.

Maybe I missed it, but the technology has not been described in this long
article celebrating "electronical pasteurization". Can anybody enlight me,
what this is? Probably I guess it is pasteurization by using electron beams
and not (electronical) computers, which the "Beam" in "SureBeam(R)" might
suggest.

It is a classical example of what the "antis" accuse for instance companies
- using all kind of words to hide the actual concept that radiation is
involved. "Radiation" is "bad" - now "we" have to find other words in order
to hide the fact that the food is irradiated and to make profit.

No, I refuse to accept something like that - if it is really related to
irradiated food. And I feel a little sympathy for the anti's, when they
claim that the consumers are "betrayed".

Controversal issue....

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458