Re: Los Alamos Wildfires -Airborne radioactivity newscoverage-Stupidity thread

Just a couple of clarifications.  I did not outright say that you
said that we were stupid, to me it was more implied with the way in
which you doubted the credibility of our data.  Second and thirdly,
it's Mr. Merritt and I am not an HP. I'm a safety generalist who just
happens to have been an RCT for many years and still maintains
proficiency in HP stuff, particularly emergency response.  My real
beef is that in a politically charged atmosphere such as what is
occurring in New Mexico right now, your comments did no one any good
and only provided ammunition to those who think that the DOE's goal
is to kill everyone very slowly and inefficiently with cancer or some
other ailment.

Are you surprised that the data presented by FEMA did not contain
technical information such as method of analysis and activity of each
detected isotope?  Who in the public is going to understand that?
What they need to know is that we were taking appropriate actions and
that we did not see anything outside of background, which residual
fallout is part of.  If you are splitting scientific hairs publicly
you might as well just come out and condemn the whole thing, it's
perceived as being the same by the public.

BTW, thanks for the defense Mike.  Your guys (and gals) rocked down there.

*Kim Merritt, RRPT			    *
*Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory	    *
*Physics Directorate Safety Support Officer *
*phone: (925)423-9668 fax: (925)422-7160    *
*e-mail: merritt9@llnl.gov		    *
*"If the only tool you own is a hammer,     *
* every problem begins to resemble a nail." *
* Abraham Maslow			    *