Repeat of last Mail

That annoying #@!FROM#@! Bug Got part of the last mail.

Dear Bernie,

About 15 years ago, I did some work on alcohol and tobacco
consumption and the incidence of cancer of the esophagus, the
larynx and the oral cavity (F.A. Seiler, "Analysis of Health or
Systemic Effects Caused by Two Toxicants," Environment
International 13, 459-467, 1987).  When looking at the effects
of alcohol alone, the esophageal cancer depended on the square
of the dose.  Smoking alone was a weak carcinogen, but the
combination, particularly at high alcohol doses, was impressive.
!!!  From that work, I seem to remember that the carcinogenic action
of alcohol in the upper G.I. track was known early in this century.
The data here are French, from the Departement Ille-et-Villaine.

As far as mouthwash is concerned, I figured at the time that at
low doses a quadratic dependence does not cause much risk.
But given EPA's predelection for enforcing the cleanup of risks
way below the noise level, I really wonder why not.

Best regards

Fritz

--

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.