Shipping Questions

DOT 172.604 requires an emergency response telephone number.  It says that the person answering the phone must be "either knowledgeable of the hazardous material being shipped and has comprehensive emergency response and incident mitigation information for that material, or has immediate access to a person who has such knowledge and information."

What is your interpretation of the knowledge level required by the person answering the phone?  This would be for a radioactive materials white I or yellow II package.  Is having the info out of the DOT response guide enough or should the person be an HP (or HP Tech.)?  How do other universities handle this requirement?

My second question has to do with type 7A packaging.  Since no one sells 'certified' boxes, do you test your own, have it tested by someone else.  In other words how have others found to solve this problem?

You may respond to me directly.

Thank You,

Joey Michael
mailto:joey-michael@uiowa.edu