Re: Reverse Logic

Don,

I am not in with x-ray equipment, but I have a good command of German...

At 15:32 24.05.2000 -0500, you wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I just ran into a situation I've never seen before and would like your
>perspective on this.
>
>We have a German made Fein-Focus cabinet x-ray machine designed to image
>components on circuit boards. The thing is computer driven, so the operator
>controls most of the machine through a keyboard. On the front panel are a
>red and green button with a red light between them that flashes when the
>x-rays are on. The green button is labelled "ON" and the red button is
>labelled "OFF". The weird thing is, when you press the red "OFF" button, it
>illuminates and turns the x-rays *on*. When you press the green "ON" button,
>it illuminates, turns the x-rays *off*, and the red button and flashing
>light go dark. I asked the operator about this and he says that it's a
>"German thing", it's addressed that way throughout the owners manual,
>they're trained to do that and they're used to it now. They take it to mean
>"Keep your hands OFF the machine when this button is pressed" and "Now you
>can open the door and put your hands ON the parts when you press this
>button." OFF turns them on and ON turns them off??? Confused the heck out of
>me.
>
>Is there a translation problem between German and English that would account
>for this?

I do not think so.

Was it assembled on our facility incorrectly? I can't believe the
>FDA would let something like that pass.

This is also my opinion. The company delivering a system has to deliver it
according to the specifications of the customer and according to
regulations of the respective country.

 I'm trying to get a copy of the
>manual to see how it is addressed. I'm for switching the button caps so ON
>means x-rays on and OFF shuts them down.

There are some logics which are valid around the world and your opinion is
correct. Be careful if the system is operated in a wrong manner because of
a wrong wiring and some people may be harmed.

German companies are well adjusted to the world wide market and a
"translation problem" between German and English could only be an
unacceptable excuse by the importing company.

Good luck!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458