Re: Reverse Logic

Dear Don,

Are you sure this unit has been approved for distribution in the US by the
FDA?  The branch that does this used to be called the Bureau of
Radiological Health, but I can't recall their latest name.  They maintain
manufacturing standards that must be satisfied before distribution is
authorized.

Dave Derenzo

At 03:32 PM 05/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I just ran into a situation I've never seen before and would like your
>perspective on this.
>
>We have a German made Fein-Focus cabinet x-ray machine designed to image
>components on circuit boards. The thing is computer driven, so the operator
>controls most of the machine through a keyboard. On the front panel are a
>red and green button with a red light between them that flashes when the
>x-rays are on. The green button is labelled "ON" and the red button is
>labelled "OFF". The weird thing is, when you press the red "OFF" button, it
>illuminates and turns the x-rays *on*. When you press the green "ON" button,
>it illuminates, turns the x-rays *off*, and the red button and flashing
>light go dark. I asked the operator about this and he says that it's a
>"German thing", it's addressed that way throughout the owners manual,
>they're trained to do that and they're used to it now. They take it to mean
>"Keep your hands OFF the machine when this button is pressed" and "Now you
>can open the door and put your hands ON the parts when you press this
>button." OFF turns them on and ON turns them off??? Confused the heck out of
>me.
>
>Is there a translation problem between German and English that would account
>for this? Was it assembled on our facility incorrectly? I can't believe the
>FDA would let something like that pass. I'm trying to get a copy of the
>manual to see how it is addressed. I'm for switching the button caps so ON
>means x-rays on and OFF shuts them down.
>
>Anyone have any experience with this machine? Any comments/suggestions would
>be welcomed.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>

>Donald P. Mercado
>Radiation Safety Officer
>Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Missiles & Space - Sunnyvale Operations
>O/EK-20, B/101
>1111 Lockheed Martin Way
>Sunnyvale, CA 94089
>Ph. (408) 742-0759
>Fax (408) 742-0611
>Email: Don.mercado@lmco.com

Dave Derenzo, RSO (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776