Re: Energy Dept. Nuke Contractors Fined

Our critics have called us whores for the nuclear industry, and, from the tone
of these responses, I'm beginning to think that they're right.  The knee jerk
reaction I've seen for this and similar events is to always exonerate the
employer.  While the employee has primary responsibility for his safety, and is
the one who suffers the most if things go wrong, the employer has a
responsibility to run an effective safety program.   I've seen organizations
where the official safety policy is just for show; and employees, either
directly or thru time pressure, are forced to short cut safety procedures.  If
an employer encourages, or even condones, poor safety practices, then the
employer must be held accountable.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com