Re: Energy Dept. Nuke Contractors Fined

It is generally accepted that persistent or willful safety violations are
grounds for disciplinary actions, up to and including dismissal.  I think
that it's unusual for a union to actively condone safety violations,
especially since such individuals are a danger to others.  Problems can
arise, however, where facility management uses selective enforcement of
safety rules as a cover for another agenda.

Health physicists, and other safety professionals are sometimes caught in
the middle, since our mission is to protect workers, but we are generally
considered part of management.  I remind members of a statement in the HPS
code of ethics:  "Members shall never compromise public welfare and safety
in favor of an employer's interest."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com