RE: IRPA 10

Dr. Mossman, et. al.,

Our organization (Rocketdyne) has done quite a bit of
training in "consensus building" as part of our team
building efforts.  While I agree with the definition you
cite from the dictionary, our working definition of
consensus has an element which I don't think the
dictionary captures.

Consensus does not require 100% agreement.  It has an
element of "voting" in it, but it is not necessarily a
democratic process in that the results of voting define
a consensus.  In our usage, a consensus has been reached
where a large majority of the participants have agreed
on a course of action, and those that do not agree with
the majority have no strenuous objections to the
majority view (we call this the "I can live with it"
criteria).

Based upon the descriptions that I have seen here on
RadSafe, it appears that there was a group of
individuals at the proceedings that did not seem to be
able to live with the outcome of the issue under
discussion, thus in our organization's definition,
consensus would not have been reached.  It appears that
you could say an overwhelming majority agreed, or you
could actually publish the results of the polling that
was taken, but I don't see a consensus under the
definition that I mentioned above.

I offer this not as a comment on the merits of the LNT
vs. hormesis debate, rather as a comment on what
consensus constitutes under the definition that I am
used to using.

James Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne/Boeing