RE: help on point source calculations

The Answer to the first calculation is simple. For a point source the
Exposure rate is given by

E = (Gamma*Activity)/(square of distance)

Therefore a simple ratio of distances works. Ie. E2/E1=(D1/D2)^2 or
D2=D1*SQRT(E1/E2) = 2*SQRT(4.2/.1) = 12.96'

The answer to question 2 is a little more complex. It involves breaking the
source mathematically up into small segments and integrating the Sievert
integral over the length of the source. An excellent reference can be found
in any medical physics text book under the brachytherapy section. Try Johns
and Cunningham or Khans the "Physics of Radiation Therapy"

Armin