RE: help on point source calculations

Other RADSAFERs have given simpler solutions to this specific problem.  Just
to add something, I've found an equation which dates back a bit (looking at
the units):

Exposure rate at 1 metre (R /h /Ci), k  = 1.32 for Co-60
Then exposure rate from a point source (R /h /Ci) = kA /d^2  where A is the
activity in curies and d is distance in metres
(Exposure in *roentgens*)

For the line source, you might envisage segmenting the 11 inches into say
1-inch segments and treating each segment as a point source of 1/11 of the
total at various distances.   It's probably a lot easier to actually measure
it :-)

> Can anyone show me how to do the following problems? or send me some good
> examples with equations.
>
> If the Co-60 point source had a radiation intensity of 4.2 R/hr at two
> feet,
> the distance at which the exposure rate would be 100 mR/hr  is ?
>
> What equation do I use and please give a example on how to do it.
>

> next question
>
> Calculate exopsure rate at 3' from a 11' long line source. The line source
> is
> reading an exposure rate of 600 mR/hr at 1 inch from the line.

Regards

keith.bradshaw@nnc.co.uk

	END

	END