Re: Is Two Too Many?

Virtually all operating nuclear power plants use 2 dosimeters:  (1) A
primary dosimeter, usually a TLD, as the dose of record, and (2) a secondary
dosimeter, usually an electronic dosimeter or a direct (i.e., self) reading
dosimeter, which serves as both a backup and a "real time" indicator of
accumulated dose.  If you don't do this, you're setting yourself up for a
surprise, when the primary dosimeter results are obtained.  Also, the
secondary dosimetry provides the worker with confidence that his
radiological environment is being properly controlled.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com