Re: 1/2 kilo of Plutonium

 Cathy-

A rough calculation will show that a hazard equivalent to a pound of Pu can be found from naturally occurring radioactivity in less than 3 square miles of soil. This illustrates the argument that even through the material present, a plausible route for exposing people must be considered.

For the sake of simplicity, let's assume we're talking pure Pu-239 vs. Th-232. Th-232 is naturally occurring. If one claims that one mass unit (pound, kilogram, whatever) of Pu-239 can have some effect (such as killing every human on earth), then it would take approximately 1E5 of those mass units of Th-232 to have the same effect (factoring specific activities and ALIs). Assuming that 1E5 lb Th-232 results in the same dire outcome claimed for one lb of Pu-239, then using values in NCRP 94 for Th-232 in soil, one can show that this much Th-232 could be expected in a plot of soil a little over 3 square miles to a depth of one foot.   This plot of land should contain approximately 5 Ci Th-232 or about 2E9 ALIs (enough to give two billion people the limit in annual intake for radiological workers)!

Keep in mind that this only considers a single radionuclide while many other naturally occurring, so the hazard represented by naturally occurring radionuclides in soil will be higher than this.  One could refine this argument further but it should help illustrate the absurdity of statements made on the gross toxicity of plutonium.