epi studies

RADSAFErs,

At one time I had seen a very brief summary of the efforts to study the
effects of radiation in the Japanese atomic bomb survivors.  I always felt
that it helped put the whole epidemiological study concept into perspective,
as well as the effects of radiation on humans.  The summary basically
consisted of the following numbers:

1.	Amount of money spent on study: __________

2.	Number of people in study: ___________

3.	Number of cancer incidences (fatal/non-fatal): _______

4.	Number of excess cancers attributed to the exposures: ________

My problem is that I have misplaced the numbers to fill in the blanks.  I
seem to recall that #1 was in the billions, #2 was in the hundreds of
thousands, #3 was in the tens of thousands, and #4 was in the few hundreds.
If anybody can help fill in the blanks, it would be appreciated.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
Defense Programs
US DOE

what few thoughts i have are truly my own