Mallinckrodt overexposures

Excerpt appears below.  Complete story is available at
http://www.stlnet.com/postnet/stories.nsf/ByDocID/B8DA0E93B3AAFE14862568F70034
F819
==============

Radiation mishap uncovers wider problems
By Virginia Baldwin Gilbert of the Post-Dispatch
Copyright 2000, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Investigators have discovered that at least 15 workers at Mallinckrodt Inc.'s
nuclear medical products plant in Maryland Heights were exposed to
unacceptably high levels of radiation during the past five years.

 The investigation has raised questions not only about how Mallinckrodt
workers have been handling radioactive materials, but how they have been
monitored for exposure.

 Moreover, the findings could have implications for worker safety at
hospitals and nuclear pharmacies across the country.

 "We have talked informally to our competitors and some of our customers,
letting them know what we found," said Roy Brown, director of regulatory
compliance for Mallinckrodt.

 Once the investigation is completed, Brown said, the company plans to send a
letter to customers and competitors with more detail.

 An estimated 14 million nuclear medical procedures are performed in the
United States each year. They are used to diagnose conditions in the heart,
lungs and other internal organs as well as to diagnose and treat cancer and
other diseases.

 The Nuclear Regulatory Commission announced last month that it was
investigating procedures at the plant, located in two industrial buildings at
2703 Wagner Place and 11480 Warnen Road, after Mallinckrodt executives
notified the agency of a worker's high radiation exposure.

 The worker's error had exposed his left index finger and thumb to 2,000 rems
of radiation - 40 times the maximum exposure limit for fingers for an entire
year.

 "It's one of the highest occupational radiation exposures I've heard of,"
said James Cameron, the commission's senior investigator for the region.
Cameron has been with the NRC for 12 years.

 Further investigation has turned up 33 other instances of overexposure to
Mallinckrodt employees at the plant since 1995. The reason: improper
procedures that exposed workers' fingers or thumbs to high radiation.

======
Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
glennacarlson@aol.com