ANI Section 8.4 Rev. 5, 5/25/00

I was provided a copy of the above referenced document this morning
by Jerre Forbes. The following is of interest, and addresses Mike's
original concerns and questions:

(1) The primary reason for a secondary dosimeter, as implemented over
the past 30 years or so, was solely done because it was "good health
physics" practice. The 2nd dosimeter, especially if a different
configuration, provided credibility that the reported doses were in
the "ballpark" and therefore an accurate assessment.

(2) The reason for a secondary dosimeter was not necessarily for
immediate readout, although that was a direct result .. a passive and
a non-passive dosimeter.

(3) Rev. 5 provides for better dentitions.

(4) The DLR is now defined as "Dosimeter of Legal Record" as defined
by the NRC. For now, it's primarily film and TLD. EPD could become
one in the future.

(5) As I stated previously, the 100 mrem annual limit is the
threshold whereby when exceeded, a secondary dosimeter must be worn
when in the Radiation Controlled Area. This has ALWAYS been the
criteria.

(6) The previous revisions stated that the 100 mrem was a prospective
assessment. Rev. 5 allows for "whether initially projected or as 100
mrem is approached, a backup dosimeter of any type should also be
used." The projection is now not the only criteria, but a facility
could, if they so chose, wait until the 100 mrem annual dose is
approached. I believe this approach to be unacceptable.

(7) Radiation tort cases generally don't occur when high doses are
received. The average litigation occurs around a dose of 250 mrem.

(8) Jerre also stated that there is no correlation between dose and
litigation filed. Therefore, if the litigations filed are for small
dose, it seems to me that a facility would be prudent to always
require a backup dosimeter. I suppose it all comes down to how much
documentation do you want to support you in the event you enter
litigation. How much is it worth to you.

In conclusion, Rev. 5 of Section 8.4 changes little, and the rules
for monitoring have for all practical purposes, not changed at all.

Jerre reads Radsafe, so, if you have questions, refer them to Jerre,
and perhaps he will respond directly, or, to the forum for all to
see.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205