Re: shipping violation?

I'd have to disagree:

(1) The regulation is clear.  I do not see how you conclude that "the 300 cm2 is
intended to ensure a reasonable sampling."    That is addressed separately in
173.443(a)(1) "...Sufficient measurements must be taken in the most appropriate
locations to yield a representative assessment of the non-fixed contamination
levels..."  To try to create a loophole through "interpretation" is wrong.  If
you wipe an area larger than 300 cm2 you must still use 300 cm2 in the
denominator of  the "dpm/cm2" calculation  in determining regulatory compliance.

(2) To try to average out a hot spot over a large surface area is wrong.  The
level of contamination reported on that package could contaminate the facility
and could have left residual contamination in the transport vehicle.

(3)  Being  "many facilities practices..." doesn't make it correct.

(4)  It would be funny if it weren't so sad:  We're constantly trying to be the
victim, claiming that the media, public, ... doesn't trust us.  Yet, whenever
something goes wrong, our reaction seems to be to look for loopholes, rather
than address the cause.  Maybe there's a connection.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com