WNY Chapter HPS - July meeting

The next meeting of the West New York Chapter will be on July 17 from
11:30-3:00.  This is a date change to accommodate the Laser Lab's schedule.
Lunch will consist of a deli tray with beverages, dessert, and possibly some
salad-type things.  Cost for Chapter members will be $7.50 and for
non-Chapter members will be $10.00.

	1130 Assemble in Coliseum meeting room
	1200 Lunch and chapter business meeting
	1300 OMEGA laser presentation - Loucks or Morse
	1320 LLE related Radcon discussion  - Loucks
	1350 Group I tour Tritium area (Cryogenic target handling system) -
Loucks
	1350 Group II tour OMEGA from viewing gallery - Morse
	1420 Group I tour OMEGA from viewing gallery - Morse
	1420 Group II tour Tritium area (Cryogenic target handling system) -
Loucks

The Laboratory for Laser Energetics examines the interactions between
high-intensity light and matter.  Much of their research is aimed at
inertial confinement fusion.  In those experiments, they use the Omega laser
(currently the world's most powerful UV laser) to hit a microsphere filled
with from 20 mCi to 1 Ci of tritium, generating integrated neutron fluences
of up to 3x10^15 neutrons in less than a microsecond.  The LLE maintains a
tritium inventory of up to 10,000 Ci at any one time.

We will discuss the manner in which the LLE administers its radiation safety
program, including a brief tour of some of the more HP areas of the LLE.
There will also be a brief tour of the target bay (from the viewing gallery
because it is a clean room).  Anyone who will be in Rochester on July 17 is
welcome to join us in this meeting.  Please contact me prior to July 10 if
you plan to attend.  Please note that I will be out of town the last week in
June at the Denver meeting - any contacts during that week should be via
e-mail and should mention WNY Chapter meeting in the subject line.

Sincerely,

Andy

Andrew Karam, CHP              (716) 275-1473 (voice)
Radiation Safety Officer          (716) 275-3781 (office)
University of Rochester           (716) 256-0365 (fax)
601 Elmwood Ave. Box HPH   Rochester, NY  14642

Andrew_Karam@URMC.Rochester.edu
http://Intranet.urmc.rochester.edu/RadiationSafety