Re: plutonium packs

	The plutonium simply provides heat to generate a high temperature.
This is used to power a thermoelectric generator, which is basically
thermocouples, with the temperature difference between a hot and a cool
junction generating an electric voltage. The hot junction is made hot by
the plutonium, while the cool junction is at ambient tempertures.
	Thermocouples are most familiar as temperature measuring devices;
the voltage generated is proportional to the difference in temperature
between the two junctions, so measuring the voltage gives the temperature.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260