From: Glenn Marshall <GMARSHALL@gtsduratek.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: DU scare story from Los Alamos

>All of this latest discussion about "deadly" and "highly toxic" DU, Pu,
etc. reminds me of the middle-school student who won his school's science
fair a few years ago by getting folks to sign a petition calling for a
worldwide ban on the terribly hazardous chemical dihydrogen oxide.  All he
had to do was stand on the street corner, stop passers by, and show them a
list of hazards.  I don't have the details at my desk, but it went something
like this:

>"This chemical almost always leads to death upon inhalation.  Uncontrolled
releases completely destroy whole towns many times each year.  It is always
found in cancer cells.  It causes severe burns in both its gaseous and solid
states.  When existing as a solid or liquid, it is the direct cause of
thousands of fatal accidents each year.  It is a known carrier of almost
every serious disease known to man.    Elimination of this substance would
immediately eradicate AIDS."  There were many other "hazards" cited.  This
young man was able to convince two-thirds of respondents to sign a petition
calling for a worldwide ban on water!

>A decent argument that the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies also to
human intelligence.  Collectively, we're just too dumb to realize it.