RE: DU scare story from Los Alamos

Sorry, got bit by the 'from' bug again.  Complete text below:

RADSAFErs,

I have avoided discussions on this so far, but will now add my two cents
worth (or maybe only one cent) for general information.  When Defense
Programs wrote the Site-Wide Environmental Impact Statement (SWEIS) for LANL
a couple years ago, it was brought to our attention by the Forest Service
that we had not considered the impact of a wildfire on the site.  We
corrected that mistake with a very comprehensive analysis, including the DU
issues.  It was a first for us, and I have not seen another analysis like it
since.  The only complete writeup of the analysis is in the SWEIS itself,
which is available on the web.  If anybody is interested, you can find the
document at

http://nepa.eh.doe.gov/eis/eis0238/eis0238.html

At this point, call up the FINAL version of the document, and go to Appendix
G (part 2), page G-100.

Please allow me to note that I am not fully aware of what the actual
situation is at the site now, so I will continue to refrain from commenting
on stories like this.  However, I do believe that the analysis would be of
interest to this group, and I would be happy to entertain any questions
about it.

The bottom line was that LANL was quite aware of the hazard, and to their
great credit, had been taking very aggressive actions to reduce the risks
involved.  However, the loss of property and personal effects is truly
tragic, and no amount of analysis can fully account for, or mitigate, such a
terrible impact on our family and friends.

Douglas Minnema, PhD, CHP
Radiological Control Program Advisor to Defense Programs
National Nuclear Security Administration
US DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own