RE: Minimum Detectable Activity

A simple method for finding your MDA for a radionuclide to 99% confidence:
Determine the counter's sensitivity in "counts/time/activity", e.g. cpm/uCi.
Take a background count for the same time you will use for your sample
counts. Take the square-root of the background count to estimate the
standard deviation, multiply by 3 and divide by your sensitivity. The answer
will be your MDA in units of activity.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist
Department of Medical Physics