Re: elemental question

You posted:

>  Last nite I watched who wants to be a millionaire?
>The question was who did not have an element named after them? >Einstein
>did, Fermi also, and the the answer they gave was Newton, of >course.  The
>one that I have a question about Niels Bohr.  They said >he also had one
>named for him.   I don't think he did unless it was >months ago.  Boron was
>discovered in 1804.
>Does anyone know if I'm right?  (my choice was Newton anyway) Thanks,

see http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/key/Bh.html

Symbol Name Atomic number Atomic weight Group number CAS registry
Bh    bohrium   107              264          7       54037-14-8

Description
Standard state: presumably a solid at 298 K
Colour: unknown, but probably metallic and silvery white or grey in
appearance. Here is a brief description of bohrium.
Bohrium is a synthetic element that is not present in the environment at
all. The German discoverers at GSI proposed the name Nielsbohrium (symbol
Ns) after Niels Bohr. IUPAC are happy to name an element after Bohr but
suggest bohrium (Bh) on the grounds that the first name of a person does not
appear in the names of any other element named after a person. This seems to
have been accepted by all concerned.

Isolation
Here is a brief summary of the isolation of bohrium.
Only a few atoms of element 107, bohrium, have ever been made. The first
atoms were made through a nuclear reaction involving fusion of an isotope of
lead, 209Pb, with one of chromium, 54Cr.

         209Pb + 54Cr  262Bh + 1n

Isolation of an observable quantity of bohrium has never been achieved, and
may well never be. This is because bohrium decays very rapidly through the
emission of a-particles.

hspooners@hotmail.com