Re[2]: incontinent patient dosed with ~100 mCi of I-131

I will be out of the office from June 20 through July 4, returning July 5th.

Please contact Jennifer Smulling on x2978 if you need imediate assistance.

Subject: RE: incontinent patient dosed with ~100 mCi of I-131
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Date: 06/19/00 17:20:37

 I assume your patient has thyroid cancer, has undergone a sub-total
thyroidectomy and you are treating her with 100 mCi (2.7 GBq or 2700 MBq) of
I-131 to ablate post-surgical  thyroid tissue remnants, or you are treating
post-thyroidectomy metastatic disease.  In this case, you would expect the
patient to excrete >95% of the administered activity, primarily through the
urine.   I would have a great deal of concern about potential deterministic
radiation effects to the skin of the buttocks and genitals of this patient.
NCRP Report #111 "Developing Radiation Emergency Plans for Academic, Medical
or Industrial Facilities"  table 4.3 gives a skin contamination dose
equivalent  for I-131 of 1694 mSv per square centimetre per MBq per hour.

During the first night after oral administration of the radioactivity, it
would not be unusual for the patient to void 10%  of the activity, which
would be trapped over a surface area in her diaper of about 100 cm^2.
Assuming the patient sleeps 8 hours with 10 mCi (370  MBq) or more of
excreted I-131 in her diaper (direct contact with her skin), she could
theoretically receive a skin dose of 50 Sv per cm^2 - which  could lead to a
spectrum of nasty skin effects, including erythema, moist desquamation,
total breakdown. The threshold dose for moist desquamation is 15 Sv.  And
that's just the skin dose for the first night.  The skin in that area is
already fragile and vulnerable to breakdown because of constant exposure to
ammonia in the urine - have you ever seen a baby with diaper rash??  Very
nasty and long-term effects for the patient, plus high potential for a
successful medical malpractice suit against the physican and medical
institution.

If this were our patient, I would strongly recommend hospitalizing the
patient for at least 48 hours so that she could be catheterised with the
shielded "hot" urine collection bag emptied to the toilet every few hours by
trained nursing staff.  I would make sure the patient is very well-hydrated
(I.V. drip) and/or lots of liquid orally to flush out of her system the
radioactivity not taken up by the target tissue As a matter of fact, I have
done this for an incontinent patient in diapers being treated for Graves
disease with much less activity - when we expected only about 5 mCi excreted
via the urine.

Regards,

Karin
Gordon**********************************************************************