Re: incontinent patient dosed with ~100 mCi of I-131

Many thanx for you thoughtful response.  However, I do not see valid regulatory
basis.  It is important to keep in mind that DOT and NRC regulations, although they
interface in many areas, are separate.  Often, material which is exempt from
licensing requirements is still considered "radioactive material" for
transportation.  Likewise, waste material that is below the DOT threshold for
"radioactive material" (i.e., < 2 nCi/g) may still be considered "radioactive waste"
by the NRC.  Thus, I'd have to disagree with the reasoning in your statement:

"Once the patient is released from confinement, the radioactive material is
unregulated.  The patient does not need a "license", and while counseled to
take certain precautions, cannot be forced to do so.  The patient can carry
contaminated diapers in their car without a DOT license, and can carry
themselves in their car without a DOT license as well."

You're correct in stating that a patient does not need an NRC license to possess his
contaminated diaper.  However, the diaper may still be within the DOT definition of
"radioactive material," and, hence subject to DOT regulation.  BTW, there is no such
thing as a "DOT license."

In addition, the licensee, under 10CFR35.75, is required to: "... provide the
released individual with instructions, including written instructions, on actions
recommended to maintain doses to other individuals as low as reasonably achievable
if the total effective dose equivalent to any other individual is likely to exceed 1
millisievert (0.1 rem)...."  These instructions must:  (1) be effective, and (2) not
instruct to patient to violate any regulations.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com