Source Stuck - Ideas Requested

Greetings Radsafers:

I currently have a 87 uCi Cs-137 source in a lead pig with an opening of
0.75 inches.  The source is in the bottom of the Pig in it's normal
location. The delimma is that there is a lead plug of unknown thickness
above the source.  The air gap between the top of the plug and the top of
the Pig is 1.5 inches.  The Pig is 6 inches tall.  Best guess is that the
source is 3 inches from the top of the Pig and the plug over it.  We are
trying to remove the plug, which has already been galled.  Our concern is to
tap the lead plug to remove it without getting into the source itself.  I
figure to try and roughly calculate the thickness of the lead plug.  The
dose rate at the opening in the top of the pig is 0.7mrem/hr.
 Calculator is at home. - Thanks. - Paul.

Paul B. Pollan, RRPT
pbpollan@southernco.com