Fwd: Re: Source Stuck - Ideas Requested

Let's try that again.  The email burped.

Jim Barnes

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:33:46 -0700
To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
From: James Barnes <james.g.barnes@att.net>
Subject: Re: Source Stuck - Ideas Requested

Paul,

Going by your description, it seems that the lead plug sitting on top of the
source was once tapped, and has now stripped the "female" threads.  If so,
then the plug should have a bolt hole facing toward the top of the pig.  I
am assuming that the plug is loose in the hole and could be fairly easily
lifted if you could get a grip on it.

If that's the case, you might try using an expansion plug.  The one I am
thinking of has a rubber assembly that is expanded by pulling up on a rod or
ring that compresses the rubber assembly which then jams into the side of a
bolt hole or plug with enough force that it locks into place.  You might be
able to lift the plug by running the plug into the hole, then expanding it,
then lifting the plug out of the pig.  I believe these plugs are farily
common around a plant, as they are commonly used to keep debris out of open
pipe and tubing ends being weld prepped.  You might want to check with your
QA or welding folks to see if they have any that would work.

Similarly, you could use one of the lead expansion taps that are used for
bolting stuff into concrete.  The principle is the same.

If the plug is not tapped, then you might try obtaining a radiograph of the
source.  This would permit you to get a good idea of how deeply you could
tap the plug in order to lift it out, and would tell you exactly where the
source is located in relation to everything else in the pig.  Then you'd be
able to tap some screws (and perhaps a manipulating handle of some type)
into the plug and lift it out with a good feel for where the best position
for them might be.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne/Boeing