RE: Sm-153 advise?

We have experience using both Sr-89 and Sm-153.  Consensus of most nuclear
medicine physicians seems to be that both therapies are equally efficacious.

1.  I read through the online discussion (link is below) and found it well
done.
	a.  Keep in mind that you will need to determine a calibration
number for your particular dose calibrator.  This number will vary even if
you use the same make and model referenced in the discussion.  Dupont will
send a calibration source and instructions free of charge.
	b.  We utilize a 3-way stopcock to backflush residual activity in
the syringe.  The clamping method referenced in the discussion also seems
very appropriate.

2.  Using Sm-153 is a little more logistically demanding since it must
remain frozen until shortly before use and is shipped on dry ice.

3. For Sr-89, most patients receive a standard dose of 4 mCi.  For Sm-153,
recommended dose is 1 mCi per kg.

4. Neither radiopharmaceutical requires dose rate determination for patient
release.  NRC Reg Guide 8.39, table 1, allows unrestricted release for all
amounts of Sr-89 administered and up to 700 mCi of Sm-153.  NRC Reg Guide
8.39, table 2, states that patient instructions (to reduce radiation
exposure to the general public) must be provided for Sm-153 dosages above
140 mCi.  This regulatory guide may be downloaded from the NRC website.

5.  Excellent information (package insert, dosage guide, patient
instructions, administration hints, technical data sheet) may be download
from Dupont's Quadramet website:
http://www.quadramet.com/

Sincerely,
Mark D. Krueger, RPh, BCNP
CPT, MS
United States Army
Clinical Nuclear Pharmacist
Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Fort Gordon, GA  30905-5650
phone: (706) 787-2196
FAX: (706) 787-2181
E-mail:  mark.krueger@se.amedd.army.mil

Disclaimer:
The opinions or assertions contained herein are the private views of the
author and are not to be construed as official or reflecting the views of
the US Department of the Army or the Department of Defense.