Re: Sm-153 advise?

We've done a few  patients on outpatient basis.
Sm-153 EDTPM (Quadramet)is taken up within first 4 to 6 hrs. After the
Sm-153 is administered part of it is taken up by the sceleton and the
unbound Sm-153 will be cleared within 6 hrs of administration.
The bound Sm is not cleared and therefore decay with the physical life of
Sm-153 (46.8h). The patiens stay in our dept. for about 4 to 6hrs for safe
disposal of urine. When possible we use I-31 shielded isolation room
facilities.

Procedure time: 1hr for injection.
The dose (37MBq/kg) is dispensed ( lead shielded syringe) in the presence
of  a second NMT and injected by the Nuclear Physician ( IV injection into
a well established cannula).
SCAN: Wholebody (WB) scan at 4 hrs post injection ( scan can also be
performed the following day in order to minimise the radiation exposure to
staff).Allow 1hour of camera time for WB swab.
I've done dose rate measurements: at 1m - 74uSv/hr, at 2m - 40uSv/hr.

Patient selection: check FBC WCC > 2, Platelets > 100.

Hope it helps.

I've got more info on Dosimetry if you are interested.

>>Our oncologist has asked that I investigate adding Sm-153 to our rad mat
>>license.  We currently use Sr-89.  Can anyone with experience with Sm-153
>>tell me if there are any pitfalls of which I should be aware?  Are the
>>release criteria different from Sr-89?  How long do we have after
>>administration to perform the bone scan. No doubt our local nuc med dept has
>>not done one of these, so what do they need to know?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Tyler
>>
>>Tyler M. Lembcke, MS, DABMP
>>Oconee Regional Cancer Center
>>2406 Bellevue Ave, Ste 7
>>Dublin, GA 31021
>>(912)272-2255
>>(912)275-9134 Fax
>>physics@nlamerica.com

Rosalie Babicheva
Medical Physicist
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Ultrasound
Bankstown Lidcombe Hospital
Bankstown NSW 2200

Tel: (02) 9722 8194       Fax: (02) 9722 8197