Contaminants in steel scrap

> Scrap metal emitting a small amount
> of radiation was found Wednesday at Kawasaki Steel Corp.'s affiliate
> in Kurashiki, Okayama Prefecture, local prefectural government
> officials said.

Every week there is a similar news item.  I certainly think it's
appropriate to be screening for radiation at scrap yards and steel
mills, but I wonder about other contaminants that may pose a hazard to
workers and possibly the public.  There is no good way to screen loads
for contaminants such as mercury, lead, cadmium, PCBs, and various other
metals or organic compounds that may cause either hazardous vapors in
the plant, emissions into nearby communities, or direct risks to
consumers (depending on the type and use of the item manufactured from
the steel).  Doesn't anybody worry about this issue, or do we just worry
about what we can easily detect?  (Reminds me of the joke about the guy
looking for his car keys under the streetlight).

Any opinion expressed is my own.