Veterinary Nuclear Medicine

We have been performing nuclear medicine techniques using Tc-99m on
several species of animals and I-131 on cats. Waste issues for Tc-99m
are fairly simple because of the short half-life. Waste issues for I-131
in cats have also proved to be acheivable because cats use litter boxes
in their cages. The veterinary hospital is now considering using I-131
in dogs and other animals. Dogs and other animals will not urinate or
deficate in their kennel and often will not urinate or deficate in areas
where the surface is not natural. This poses a problem with waste
control. Any suggestions on how to contain nuclear medicine injected
animals would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
James C. Graham - Radiation Safety Officer
Environmental Health Services