Re: I-131 and pregnancy

Richard

As a first pass, I suggest that you visit the Radiation Internal Dose
Information Center's site at:
www.orau.gov/ehsd/ridic.htm. The Compendia of Dose Estimates, there, is
very useful. Also, couple of years ago, they published Mike Stabin's Fetal
Dose Calculation Workbook (ORISE 97-0961). It's about seventy (70) pages,
comb-bound, and costs about US$10. Their phone number is (865)576-3448.
Bear in mind that they are on Eastern Time.

Break a leg
cja

P.S. Mike Stabin: it may give you a kick to learn that my spell checker
wants to change your name to *Stalin*.

At 01:52 PM 6/22/00 -0600, you wrote:
>We have a 28 yr old woman with thyroid cancer who would like to get
pregnant in the near future. We will be giving her 150 mCi initially and
>3mCi on follow-up visits every 6 months for whole body scans.
>
>1. When dose the fetus develop thyroid tissue?
>2. Does the I-131 cross the placenta to the fetal thyroidal tissue?
>3. How long after giving I-131 should the patient wait to get pregnant?
>
>She is currently on hold and we will wait until her first follow-up in six
months to give her any more advice.