Re: shielding requirements for P-32

At 01:25 PM 06/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>What would be the minimum shielding requirements for a scientist working
>with 1 mCi of P-32.  I heard several suggestions from fellow lab workers but
>wanted to know what the professionals suggest.  If one should indeed use
>lead in addition to the acrylic, how much lead is needed?
>
>Thanks in advance for all your help.  It's nice to know that the "general"
>public can have access to such important information through servers like
>"radsafe".
>
>Kathysmith1963@hotmail.com

Millicurie quantities of P-32 should be handled behind 1 cm thick Lucite
shielding.
Lead sheets that are  3 mm to 8 mm thick can be added to the outside of the
Lucite to reduce secondary radiation (bremsstrahlung).

Ninni Jacob, CHP
Radiation and Biological Safety Officer
Office of Risk Management
Brown University - Box 1914