RE: Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study

I am particularly pleased to hear Dr. Weiner's mention of ultraviolet
radiation (UVR). In 1998, the Canadian Radiation Protection Association,
under the leadership of then President Dr. Gary Kramer, undertook a campaign
to inform Canadian provincial government officials of the hazard to human
health associated with UVR exposure. I believe that this important
initiative should be continued, not only in Canada but around the world.

The role of UVA radiation in the induction of malignant melanoma should be
clarified. To my knowledge, no dose/response mechanism for this outcome has
yet been postulated and verified. This would also have a bearing on the use
of UVA artificial tanning beds, which continue in widespread use by the
general public.

Another very intriguing item entitled "Second Cancers" appeared in the UK
National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) Radiological Protection
Bulletin, No: 207, November 1998, p. 21. I quote:

"In 1,100,000 volunteers followed for 12 years, men and women with
non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) had an increased cancer mortality risk of
around 27%. Mortality was increased for melanoma, pharyngeal cancer, lung
cancer and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in men and women. In men, mortality was
increased for cancers of the salivary glands, prostate, testis, urinary
bladder and leukaemia. Women had excess breast-cancer mortality. Possible
biological mechanisms include immunosuppression or somatic mutations caused
by the exposure to ultraviolet radiation that had caused NMSC (Journal of
the American Medical Association, 280, 910-12, 1998)."

The increased risk of lung cancer in this study is particularly interesting.
I wonder if another variable could be considered in radon epidemiological
studies - i.e., the presence of skin cancer or, alternatively, some measure
of lifetime UVR exposure?

Eric Cowdrey, M.Sc. (Physics)
Radiation Protection Officer
Department of Medical Physics