Re: And another DOE-led disaster...

>          Energy Dept. Warns of Power Outages

Like I've said before, one of the "benefits" of deregulation is no
institution is reponsible for ensure there is sufficient generating
capacity.

>          Earlier this week, Californians were urged to voluntarily reduce
>          their electricity use to avoid power outages because of concerns
>          about supplies during the heat wave that has struck much of the
>          West.

What's even more amazing to me is that PG&E had a substantial fraction of
its generating capacity offline in SCHEDULED maintenance outages, plus a
smaller amount in forced outage. When the weather turned hot (who could have
guessed THAT would happen in June?), the outages led to the power shortage.
>          California and the Northwest have been ``barely able to avoid
>          rolling blackouts,'' said Richardson.

I could criticize the wnnabeVP about being better informed, but perhaps it's
not his fault. California didn't avoid rolling blackouts. They just did them
so badly they may not have been recognizable as deliberate. PG&E cut the
power with no warning in several towns around the San Francisco bay area -
traffic lights went out (with accidents as a direct result), hospitals and
nursing care facilities lost power (and a few nursing home deaths are being
investigated as a result), etc. When PG&E went to restore power, in most
cases they couldn't. The several-hour blackouts turned into overnight and a
few 24-36 hour outages.

Tell me again how many people have been killed by operating nuclear power
plants? And why are these blackouts better than having "nuculer"
electricity?
Bob Flood
Dosimetry Group Leader
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center