Re: Decay on site question

Dear Eileen,

I sent this yesterday, but I'm not sure it made it to the list.  I am also
modifying/expanding my answer a little.  I apologize if this is a duplicate
message.

We had storage bins made for us out of galvanized steel (good for fire
safety).  Any good sheet metal fabricator should be able to make them for
you.  Ours are installed on commercially available steel racks which we
purchased from Grainger.  We use off-the-shelf Rubbermaid containers lined
with heavy plastic bags to collect waste.  When removing the waste
container from the lab, we close the bag with wire twist tie which has an
attached ID tag.  Of course, we provide a replacement container to the
lab.  The Rubbermaid container is then put into a storage bin, which is
tipped back slightly to prevent any liquid (which shouldn't be there to
begin with) from escaping.  Only after the decay period is over do we
remove the waste from the Rubbermaid container.  In the many years of use,
we have never had a contamination incident using this system.  If you want
a photo, I can send one via email.  If you are looking for something that
is more off-the-shelf, I suggest looking in warehouse equipment catalogs.

Dave Derenzo