Re: 1988 Irradiator Incident

I am sorry to send this now, I was busy last three days and didn't read the
messages.

http://starbulletin.com/97/04/22/news/story3.html

..."Dorn, who also fought irradiation in 1986-89, proved right on one major
prediction in the 1980s: that radioactive, water-soluble cesium-137 could
create a disaster. In 1988, cesium dissolved in the water used to shield an
irradiator in Georgia exposed 10 workers. It took four years and $47 million
to clean up.'....
--------------------
http://www.hanford.gov/press/1996/96-083.htm
DOE RECLAIMS FINAL LEASED CESIUM CAPSULES
..."The cesium capsules were used primarily to sterilize medical supplies
and other commercial purposes. DOE leased the capsules to commercial
irradiators in Ohio, Georgia, Colorado, and Virginia in 1985-86. In all,
more than 700 capsules were leased to the four commercial operators.
DOE recalled all of the capsules after a single capsule at the Georgia
facility leaked a very small amount or radioactivity in 1988."...

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel