Dr. Rosalie Bertell

Title: Dr. Rosalie Bertell

Radsafers,
To further Otto's reply to Martin Sandel about Rosalie Bertell, she recently (1995-1999) was the Canadian representative on the Nuclear Task Force to develop an inventory baseline for radionuclides in the Great Lakes and to make recommendations concerning future directions for the International Joint Commission (IJC) for the Great Lakes to take regarding radionuclides in the Great Lakes.  The IJC is made up of US and Canadians and was formed by the Boundary Waters Treaty between the US and Canada back in 1908 to monitor pollution entering said waters.  The two reports produced by the Nuclear Task Force were fairly factual with some obvious errors.  One of the amazing conclusions of the Nuclear Task Force's first report was that the Be-7 found in the Great Lakes was due to nuclear reactors. Their reasoning was that the naturally produced Be-7 would stay in the air too long to make a significant contribution to the environment. In spite of disagreements with this conclusion sent to the IJC by me and one of the leading Great Lakses radioliminologists, this error was restated in their final report.

Kjell Johansen, Ph.D.
Wisconsin Electric Power Company
kjell.johansen@wepco.com

Just my own opinions and not necessarily those of my employer.