Recent metal recyling events could be a blessing

Although the recent actions sound somewhat ignorant, they may be a blessing in
disguise.  If this type of activity ultimately results in the implementation of
surface contamination release guidelines for NRC-regulated facilities, then I'm
all for it.  Anyone who has ever worked in an operating nuclear power facility
knows that the current release protocol is a joke.  The fact that no release
standards exist is a serious industry weakness and, subsequently, any anti-nuke
with a little knowledge of detection theory can cause big problems for a NPP
contamination control program.

However, Mr. Richardson's decision to temporarily adopt the "no detectable
radioactivity" approach of the NRC is unfortunate.  Of course, this decision
conflicts with DOE Order 5400.5, Chapter IV guidelines - and so, we'll see how
far it actually goes.

Who knows, maybe this will result in the formal implementation of ANSI/HPS
N13.12 guidance (OK, I like to dream once in a while).

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT
rodney_bauman@wssrap-host.wssrap.com