Re: Steel and Metal Consumers Radioactivity Protection Act

>A politician who may or may not know better has caved under this >pressure
>and made a decision that will force the metal into the >radwaste disposal
>world.
It is what sounds good in people's ears that count (Hollywood talent is a
plus).

>The metal could go into shipbuilding, rebar to be
>imbedded in concrete, bridge girders, etc where there would be >essentially
>no public exposure and no disposal cost. I can't believe >that no one
>thought of such a solution, so it must have been found to >be unacceptable.
>Why?
We are back to the problem of education. Is the object black or white? A few
Bq do not make a shade of grey - the object becomes black. When I visited
Harrisburg last week one of my friends (non-scientist) asked whether it was
dangerous to go there because of remaining radioactivity (since 1979) in the
environment - this was not only with reference to TMI but also to the city
of Harrisburg. I kindly told about the recent report from Univ. of
Pittsburgh and also explained a little about the Bq in our bodies (7000
atomic events per second and person). My response was accepted but with some
air of skepsis I am afraid. Who are those responsible for these terror
feelings some people have? Most of us here at Radsafers know the answer.

My ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com