RE: Rosalie Bertell

>The response from the regulator was that these regulations, which >prohibit
>the broadcast of false or misleading news, do not apply to a >program like
>The Nature of Things. Our public broadcaster has also >taken a position,
>with regard to their own journalistic policy, that >is consistent with that
>of the broadcast regulator. They consider this >type of programming "arts
>and entertainment" so that their >journalistic policy (which would
>otherwise also be clearly violated) >does not apply.

I and two other people (who complained independently) got a very similar
response from the Swedish broadcast regulators in 1987. The story was about
Bq in mushrooms and whether the Barsebaeck nuclear power plant could explode
like an atomic bomb (a follow-up program of the Chernobyl disaster).

In the radio studio were several wellknown anti-nuclear activists a few of
whom were there to appear as "experts"  - none of them has a degree relating
to radiation. The program was very biased and some facts were totally wrong.
Our point was that the errors should be corrected. The bottom line - one
year later - was that the only accepted criticism was about one of the radio
people ("actors" - see below) who had attacked some named person. This was
commented that one year later on the radio at 11 p.m. - the errors were
never mentioned.

The response from the broadcast regulator explained that "the purpose of the
documentary (//a classification of the type of program//) was to contribute
to the diversity of the news." And then approx. as follows:

"The documentary is a reflection/representation from a special perspective
that is dependent on the originator's personality and temper. Therefore the
requirement for objectivity/lack of bias is lower for these types of
programs (as is the case for plays with actors about real events that are
represented by personal experiences) contrasting other types of reports
about the society."

My questions were:
1. Does the general public know that a "documentary" is a Hollywood type of
work?
2. Was the key person with the "scientist image" in the program there as an
actor? (definitely not!)

My personal ideas and opinions,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
For you who read Swedish, that exact text from the broadcast regulator can
be found at my website
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/
(Click on "Scandinavian visitors" and scroll down to number 2).