over-regulation

Dear Bill,

Medical HP IS over-regulated.  So are power plants.  And, in general,
hospitals have few staff devoted to health physics.  In my opinion,
over-regulation is when there are rules that provide no added margin of
safety.  If most of the violations noted have trivial or no expected long-
or short-term effect in terms of added risk to workers or the public, then
it's reasonable to suspect that the underlying regulation is not really
needed.  But, that's nothing we haven't heard before.

Andy

Andrew Karam, CHP              (716) 275-1473 (voice)
Radiation Safety Officer          (716) 275-3781 (office)
University of Rochester           (716) 256-0365 (fax)
601 Elmwood Ave. Box HPH   Rochester, NY  14642

Andrew_Karam@URMC.Rochester.edu
http://Intranet.urmc.rochester.edu/RadiationSafety

If a man never contradicts himself, the reason must be that he virtually
never says anything at all.  (Miguel de Unamuno, quoted in "What is
Life?" by Erwin Schrodinger)