Laser corrective eye surgery

Hello everyone,
At the recent Annual conference in Denver, I attended an PEP course on
Laser safety. During that course it was suggested that corrective eye
surgery actually was an unhealing Laser radiation induced tissue injury to
the eye, with the thought being if it healed that the eye would again not
see correctly. I think this procedure is the flap and zap one.
Does anyone have any comment as to the validity of this theory and could
you point me in the direction of some reference material that discusses
this?
Thank you,
Mark Dater
Nexstar Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
These are my comments or questions alone and not those of my Employer