Re: civil penalty for medical violation

I'm even more astounded by the multiple responses which seem to imply that, "If a
regulation doesn't make sense to me, I don't have to follow it."  You are making
a good case that these violations are, in fact, willful, and deserving of
criminal sanctions.  I hope that this does not reflect our profession's approach
to public safety.

There are many ways to change regulations:  a rulemaking petition or an
application for a device-specific exemption are 2 that come to mind.  If, indeed
this device is leakproof (which I doubt), then use one of these processes for
regulatory relief.  I'm surprised that one of you hasn't made this effort.

It would also be acceptable to plead no public danger to try to avoid penalties
in the case of an inadvertent violation.

However, the attitude that an individual can decide to ignore a public safety
regulation is totally unacceptable.

What other "unreasonable" regulations are you ignoring?

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com