Re: civil penalty for medical violation

My apologies for misinterpreting your e-mail, and that of others, as implying
support for noncompliance.

You asked whether the rulemaking process is being used.

The nuclear industry has several such ongoing or completed projects.  Some that
come to mind are:

(1) regulatory relief for mixed waste - The notice of proposed rulemaking was out
for comment earlier this year.  I posted this on RADSAFE.

(2) changes to the 10CFR50.59 "safety evaluation" process for power reactors,

(3) changes to emergency planning regulations in which the required emergency
exercise frequency has been reduced to every second year from every year,

(4) a revised NRC oversight program for power reactors, in which the safety
significance of an infraction must be considered in the enforcement determination
(BTW - a willful violation is considered to be highly significant.),

(5) a recent change to 10CFR20 which allows power reactors to burn contaminated
oil on site.

The process isn't perfect, but it can be used effectively.  I have trouble being
sympathetic with those who complain about regulations, but probably did not
participate in the rulemaking.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com