Re: civil penalty for medical violation

Well, if anyone understood my post to advocate non-compliance with
inconvenient rules, I guess I need to remember that sarcasm does not
translate well through e-mail.

Anyway, this brings up an interesting subject.  Obviously the regs have
filled up with fluff over the years, probably in response to various isolated
events.  And that is just the rules themselves - does anyone believe that
most of the guidance documents are not de facto rules also?  Has anyone ever
considered approaching the regulatory agencies with a request for rulemaking
to roll back some of the more onerous requirements?  Has anyone done a
relatively well justified cost/benefit analysis to identify the requirements
that seem to have no significant basis?  If we are going to live with ALARA
as a regulatory requirement, why not make the regs pass muster under that
same requirement.  (Of course, ALARA might be the first one to go.)  If it is
not worth doing, let's go to the rulemakers and get rid of it.

The process does exist - are they open to this sort of thing?  Is this a good
role for one of our societies?  The rules would seem to lie at the heart of
promoting safety.

Lew LaGarde
offtowy@aol.com